This stylish hat, designed and knitted by our very own Marilou Matthews, will keep you warm and cosy when made with Juniper Moon’s Neve, a lovely and soft, worsted weight cotton. The welts at the brim offer flattering fullness while the hat gently hugs the head.
Materials & Equipment
- 4.0 mm circular: 16-inch length (or size that gives you correct tension)
- one set of 5 double pointed needles in 4.0 mm (or same size as circular ndl)
- darning needle
- Juniper Moon Neve: 100 grams, 203 meters – a worsted weight cotton
22 stitches and 32 rows = 4” in stocking stitch
To save time, take time to check tension.”
Adult Woman. Finished Circumference to Fit: 17-19, (19-21, 21-23) inch head. These hats stretch easily to fit larger heads. Normally, a hat should be 1 inch smaller than the head circumference. Please make allowances for a lack of hair, which usually necessitates a smaller size hat.
cast on, knit, purl, knit 2 together, ssk, cast off
* * = repeat instructions found between the * * symbols.
dpn(s) = double pointed needle(s)
k2tog = knit two stitches together; a right leaning decrease
ndl = needle
p2tog = purl two sts together
pm = place marker
rnd(s) = round(s)
RS = right side (or public side)
slm = slip marker
ssk = slip two stitches one at a time, to right needle, as if to knit. Insert left needle from left to right into front of the two stitches and knit the two together from that position onto right needle; a left leaning decrease
st(s) = stitch(es)
- Cast on 84 (92, 100) sts and join in the round, being careful not to twist. Place marker at beginning of round.
- *Purl 5 rounds. Knit 3 rounds; repeat from * 2 more times.
- Purl 5 rounds. (29 rounds completed)
- Rnd 30: Knit.
- Rnd 31: Cast off 5 sts, knit to end of rnd.
- Rnd 32: Cast on 5 sts, knit to end of rnd.
- Continue knitting every rnd until work measures 3 inches above last purl row.
- Set-Up Round: *Knit 19 (21, 23) sts, k2tog, pm; repeat from * 3 more times.
- Continue decreases as follows, changing to dpns when sts no longer fit comfortably around circular ndl.
- Rnds 1, 3 and 5: *Ssk, k to 2 sts before marker, k2tog, slm; repeat from * 3 more times.
- Rnds 2, 4 and 6: Knit.
- Decrease every round (omitting plain knit rounds) until 8 sts remain.
- Cut yarn leaving 8-inch tail, thread tapestry ndl and pull through all sts. Pull tight to close crown. Weave in ends.
- With new piece of yarn, cast on 8 sts.
- Work in stocking stitch (knit one row, purl one row), slipping first st of every row purlwise until tab measures 3 inches.
- Cast off.
- Place tab through slot created by the 5-st cast off in Round 31. Sew ends of tab together.
You may wish to ‘close’ the opening by tacking the hat’s cast on sts to the tab for a neater appearance.
To protect the sensitive skin of chemo patients, place the tab’s seam on outside of hat and cover with a large and decorative button.
This pattern is offered free for the purpose of making Chemo Turbans for Cancer Patients. Not for commercial use.